Can you believe there are only TEN days left until Bulldog Welcome Week 2017 begins?! Crazy right! Summer has flown by so dang fast, but now the real fun has begun. BWW 2017 is going to have some amazing things in store from you to help you transition into life at UMD. This blog series will give you three main posts to prepare you for your one and only Bulldog Welcome Week so that you get the absolute most out of it. Today we’re going to talk about how to stay organized (enough) for all that’ll be going on:
There’s a Mobile App – So Get It!
Look for the University of Minnesota Duluth Orientation 2017 app. It’s downloadable in Google Play and the App Store. When I had BWW back in 2015, I absolutely loved this app because it helped me remember what to do, where to go and when to do it. It has all the options for workshops you can take and their descriptions, the schedule each day right down to the minute, and it even has maps to help you out as you get used to the campus. The 2017 version is even better! So, if you haven’t already, check it out!
Dress Cool & Carry Light
You may think you need to be fashionable and carry absolutely everything during your “first” week at campus, but you’re wrong. Unless the weather suddenly turns bitterly cold, dress lightly in clothing that you can constantly be moving in. Expect to get a little sweaty too, so make sure you always have a water bottle with you to stay hydrated. Wear shoes that are mega-comfy for walking in all day and utilize a small, lightweight bag to store your phone, keys, and whatever else you need in.
Make Sure to Get Your Sleep
Each and every day is going so be jam-packed full of fun, and trust me, you will be absolutely exhausted from it. Know that you’re going to have to wake up a little earlier than you think, so don’t stay up as late as you normally do. You’ll want to be fully recharged for the next day!
Stay tuned for the next countdown series blog post when only FIVE days are left until Bulldog Welcome Week 2017. Until then, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to fill out a comment/question for me to answer by clicking here. Have a great weekend everyone!
Written by Hannah Garrett on 8/12/2017
1. Name: Maggie Carey
2. Hometown: Maple Lake, MN
3. Major(s) and Minor(s): Major in Communication, Minor in Photography
4. Year in school: Senior
5. If magic was real, what spell would you use first? It’s not necessarily a spell, but I would hands down use the undetectable extension charm Hermione uses to have an unlimited amount of storage in her bag! I believe that is any girl’s dream to carry so many things with such ease!
6. Hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: Uncle Louis’s Café! Best breakfast in town, I am never disappointed there!
7. One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: Go back to Switzerland to visit my dearest Swiss friend!
8. What you wish you would’ve known when you began your first year at UMD: Cherish the moments and drink lots of coffee! Freshman year is the best year of college, everything is new and so are you! During my first year, I wish I would have joined more clubs. Get out there and be involved, you have nothing to lose 🙂
Written by Hannah Garrett on 8/2/2017
1. Name: Tyson Friedges
2. Hometown: Lakeville, MN
3. Major(s) and Minor(s): Communication Sciences & Disorders and a Psychology Minor
4. Year in school: Senior
5. If money and practicality weren’t an issue, what mode of transportation would be the most interesting for you to get around town? I would love to get around town on a hover board, because Duluth’s roads and sidewalks aren’t the smoothest.
6. Your hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: Canal Park Brewery
7. One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: Sky Dive
8. Advice to an incoming UMD student: Duluth is your new home, so get out and explore the amazing city you are in. P.S: If you like heights and water, Lester Park is a great place to cliff jump and there is an ice house out in Lake Superior that is super fun to jump off of!
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/30/2017
1. Name: Andrew Manoleff
2. Hometown: Milaca MN
3. Major: Mechanical Engineering Minors: Mathematics, Communication
4. Year in School: Fifth-Year Senior
5. If money and practicality weren’t an issue, what mode of transportation would you use to get around town? Jet pack
6. Favorite place to eat in Duluth: New London Café
7. The thing to do before you die: Skydive
8. What I wish I would’ve known when I began UMD: Make sure you have time for yourself and don’t over do it with getting involved.
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/20/2017
1. Name: Kristin Larson
2. Hometown: Savage, MN
3. Major(s) and Minor(s): Major: Biochemistry Minor: Deaf studies
4. Year in school: Senior
5. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be and why? A baby carrot because I’m really small
6. Your hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: I love Toasty’s but I’m a little obsessed with grilled cheese so that might be why!
7. One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: I need to go to Australia because I need to pet a koala bear!
8. What you wish you would’ve known when you began your first year at UMD: Shadow, shadow, shadow because as much as you think you might want to do a certain job you never know until you’re in the field!
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/19/2017