This will be a very quick post letting you know more about the ah-MAZING transfer student experience you can and will have at UMD. On the university’s main website, you can read updates and news related to what us Bulldogs are up to. One of the most recent articles, which you can read here, talks about how one transfer student not only adjusted to the UMD atmosphere, but thrived in it.
For more information about the transfer student process at UMD, please go to: http://www.d.umn.edu/students-transition/transfer-students
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/30/2017
If you haven’t heard of the UMD RockStars, you don’t go here. Plain and simple, EVERYONE knows who they are! They are the amazing student leaders that help new and transfer students settle into the college life during Bulldog Welcome Week. If you’re a student here, you probably remember when you were assigned to a circle of new people who you never met, called your “Rock Group”, during the week before fall semester. RockStars lead this group of new students and show them the ropes of UMD. They foster friendships and facilitate great conversations regarding academics, social activities and Duluth’s opportunities.
Being able to lead these groups of new students is not only a phenomenal experience to list on your resume, but also a rewarding and life-long memory that had an impact on those around you. RockStars learn so much about how to communicate and connect with all people around them. Being a RockStar fulfills the deep desire to help others and change the world (even if it’s only a tiny bit).
You can apply for being a RockStar starting this Wednesday, February 1st through February 13th. You can find the applications by following this link. A note about the application – make sure you meet these guidelines:
- Have attended UMD for at least one full year (two semesters) OR if you are a transfer student, one full semester
- Be enrolled as a full-time student for the fall of 2017
- Have a UMD GPA of 2.5 or above
- Campus involvement through clubs, organizations, leadership experience, etc.
- Be in good standing with the University
- MUST be available for these dates:
- Sunday April 2nd, 10am-8pm (RockStar Training)
- Regular access to Moodle over the summer to participate in online discussions
- Sunday August 20th, 6-9pm & Monday August 21st, 9am-6pm (Training Sessions)
- Bulldog Welcome Week: Tuesday August 22nd-Saturday August 26th (variable hours each day, typically around 7am-11pm)
If you think YOU are cut out for making an impact as a RockStar, apply!! The Office of Students in Transition is looking forward to meeting you.
Written by Hannah Garrett on 1/31/2017