Can you believe there are only TEN days left until Bulldog Welcome Week 2017 begins?! Crazy right! Summer has flown by so dang fast, but now the real fun has begun. BWW 2017 is going to have some amazing things in store from you to help you transition into life at UMD. This blog series will give you three main posts to prepare you for your one and only Bulldog Welcome Week so that you get the absolute most out of it. Today we’re going to talk about how to stay organized (enough) for all that’ll be going on:
There’s a Mobile App – So Get It!
Look for the University of Minnesota Duluth Orientation 2017 app. It’s downloadable in Google Play and the App Store. When I had BWW back in 2015, I absolutely loved this app because it helped me remember what to do, where to go and when to do it. It has all the options for workshops you can take and their descriptions, the schedule each day right down to the minute, and it even has maps to help you out as you get used to the campus. The 2017 version is even better! So, if you haven’t already, check it out!
Dress Cool & Carry Light
You may think you need to be fashionable and carry absolutely everything during your “first” week at campus, but you’re wrong. Unless the weather suddenly turns bitterly cold, dress lightly in clothing that you can constantly be moving in. Expect to get a little sweaty too, so make sure you always have a water bottle with you to stay hydrated. Wear shoes that are mega-comfy for walking in all day and utilize a small, lightweight bag to store your phone, keys, and whatever else you need in.
Make Sure to Get Your Sleep
Each and every day is going so be jam-packed full of fun, and trust me, you will be absolutely exhausted from it. Know that you’re going to have to wake up a little earlier than you think, so don’t stay up as late as you normally do. You’ll want to be fully recharged for the next day!
Stay tuned for the next countdown series blog post when only FIVE days are left until Bulldog Welcome Week 2017. Until then, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to fill out a comment/question for me to answer by clicking here. Have a great weekend everyone!
Written by Hannah Garrett on 8/12/2017
1. Name: Kristin Larson
2. Hometown: Savage, MN
3. Major(s) and Minor(s): Major: Biochemistry Minor: Deaf studies
4. Year in school: Senior
5. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be and why? A baby carrot because I’m really small
6. Your hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: I love Toasty’s but I’m a little obsessed with grilled cheese so that might be why!
7. One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: I need to go to Australia because I need to pet a koala bear!
8. What you wish you would’ve known when you began your first year at UMD: Shadow, shadow, shadow because as much as you think you might want to do a certain job you never know until you’re in the field!
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/19/2017
1. Name: Emily Sebranek
2. Hometown: Sun Prairie, WI
3. Major(s) and Minor(s): Spanish major
4. Year in school: Sophomore
5. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be and why? I would be an avocado even though I’m 99.9% sure it’s not a vegetable (?) I just love avocados and guac…I could honestly live off it!
6. Your hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: The Tav! (I know, I’m basic…)
7. One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: Go to a Tim McGraw concert!
8. What you wish you would’ve known when you began your first year at UMD: Be open to trying new things! I came into college having no interest in Greek Life, however my Rockstar convinced me to rush! Looking back, it was the BEST decision I made freshman year!
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/12/2017
1. Name: Anna Schackmuth
2. Hometown: Cottage Grove, Minnesota
3. Major(s) and Minor(s): Psychology major and Studio Art minor
4. Year in School: Senior
5. If you were a vegetable, which one would you be and why? Avocado! Technically a fruit, but I consider it to be a vegetable for sure. Favorite “vegetable” ever!
6. Your hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: Uncle Louis Café
7. One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: Being brought to a different country spontaneously, where I do not know where I am going until I step foot inside the country!
8. What you wish you would’ve known before you began your first year at UMD: One piece of advice I would give to incoming freshman is to be open to meeting new people and getting to know new cultures
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/11/2017
1. Name: Megan Traxler
2. Hometown: Le Center, Minnesota
3. Major(s) and Minor(s): Cell and Molecular Biology Major with a Minor in Chemistry
4. Year in school: Senior
5. If magic was real, what spell would you use first? I am one of the biggest Harry Potter nerds out there so of course I would love to do magic. I think I would cast a spell that would allow me to fly around on a broom because I think that would be quite an experience! Plus, who wouldn’t want to fly?! I would never have to pay for gas again!
6. Your hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: Tavern on the Hill!
7. One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: THERE ARE SO MANY. Overall, I just want to make a difference in the lives of others. Whether that be holding a door open for someone, lending aid or advice where needed, or inspiring others to be the best that they can be and to reach their full potential.
8. What you wish you would’ve known when you began your first year at UMD? My little piece of advice would be not to limit yourself to what you think you know or what you think you like. You’re on your own now and you will grow and change. I joined an organization I never thought I would join in a million years and now it is such a huge part of my life and made me into the woman I am today.
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/10/2017
- Name: Ellie Strafelda
- Hometown: West St. Paul MN.
- Major(s) and Minor(s): I have psychology and Hispanic studies majors with a special education minor and I am applying to master’s programs from occupational therapy.
- Year in school: I am starting my senior year.
- If magic was real, what spell would you use first? If magic was real I would definitely use a broom to fly because I would love to see the world from up high!
- Your hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: My favorite place to eat in Duluth is Little Angie’s because the philly cheesesteak wrap is beyond amazing.
- One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: Before I die I would like to travel to each continent.
- What you wish you would’ve known when you began your first year at UMD: I wish I would have known not to be nervous about every little thing, because it all works out in the end.
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/7/2017
- Name: Dalton Klein
- Hometown: Layton, UT & Hudson, WI
- Major(s) and Minor(s): BBA- Finance Minor- Philosophy
- Year in school: Senior
- If money and practicality weren’t an issue, what would be the most interesting way for you to get around town? I would inch around like an inchworm.
- Your hands-down favorite place to eat in Duluth: West Taphouse
- One thing you absolutely need to do before you die: Wingsuit down a mountain
- What you wish you would’ve known when you began your first year at UMD?Getting really involved and staying busy is the best way to open up your future and stay on top of things. Also Kirby student center jobs are nice.
Written by Hannah Garrett on 7/6/2017
Hey everyone!! I know you all are probably just as excited as I am that the semester is slowly drawing to a close, but some people are already getting their A-game on for Bulldog Welcome Week 2017.
That’s right, I said it….
BULLDOG WELCOME WEEK 2017!!!!!!!!!
AHHHHHH!! So exciting!
Here’s the link to the latest video about Rockstar training last month. It’s a sneak peek into what Rockstars will be doing this year and how super-awesome-crazy-fun they are. (You can obviously tell by the wild smiles and laughter everyone seems to be having).
In case you didn’t already know, Rockstars are a group of fantastic college students on a mission to help new students (freshmen and transfer) have THEE best transition into the UMD life. I still remember my Rockstar, Matt, and how much fun us and our “rock group” had during BWW. One of my best friends, Kate, was in my group! We’re living together this next school year, and I know we will be lifelong friends.
Get excited because summer is right around the corner, and so is Bulldog Welcome Week!!
Written by Hannah Garrett on 4/18/2017